Thursday, August 17, 2017

Review: Our Dark Duet by Victoria Schwab

Image result for our dark duetTitle: Our Dark Duet
Series: Monsters of Verity #2
Author: Victoria Schwab
Genre: Urban fantasy
Age group: Young adult
Pages: 510 (Hardcover)
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Publication date: June 13, 2017

**The below synopsis will contain spoilers if you have not yet read This Savage Song. The below review is spoiler free.**


THE WORLD IS BREAKING. AND SO ARE THEY.

KATE HARKER isn't afraid of monsters. She hunts them. And she's good at it.

AUGUST FLYNN once yearned to be human. He has a part to play. And he will play it, no matter the cost.

THE WAR HAS BEGUN.

THE MONSTERS ARE WINNING.

Kate will have to return to Verity. August will have to let her back in. And a new monster is waiting—one that feeds on chaos and brings out its victims' inner demons.

Which will be harder to conquer: the monsters they face, or the monsters within?

THOUGHTS

I have, at this point in my reading career, read three other Victoria Schwab books. None of them have disappointed me, and none of them have had less than a 4/5 star rating, and this book is no exception.
Every single one of the worlds that she creates are so different, so unique, and are so wonderfully crafted and created, that you can almost believe that you can just step into the book and become a part of the world you're reading about.
This book is the second, and conclusion, of the Monsters of Verity duology. The first book, This Savage Song, I read last summer and wrote a full review of, which can be found here.
This Savage Song created the world, introduced the characters, and created the conflict all wonderfully, but I found it was missing...something. Our Dark Duet, however, was everything that I wanted, everything that I hoped for, and everything I didn't even know I wanted all wrapped up in one.
Our Dark Duet picks up a few months after This Savage Song ends, and although a fair amount of the conflict from the first book was wrapped up at the end of This Savage Song, SO much more conflict was created within the first few chapters of this book.
The conflict was utterly unbelievable (in a GREAT way), the characters were so wonderfully dark and twisted while also being loving and sweet, that it makes you want nothing more than to have friends like August and Kate.
Every time I read one of Victoria Schwab's books, I am struck by how powerful of a writer she is, in more ways than one. She can create so many different worlds, so many complex characters, and just when I think I finally understand her writing style, she starts writing poetry in Our Dark Duet. And her poetry? DID NOT DISAPPOINT. It was dark and twisted and creepy, everything it was meant to be and more.
I absolutely flew through this book. I read it in two sittings, starting late at night until the early morning, and then as soon as I woke up the next day, I finished it. It was a quick read, even though it is 500+ pages.
The ending of this book utterly destroyed me. It was painful and my heart still aches even though I finished it 12+ hours ago. I know that Kate and August's story is complete, and it feels like it. Everything that needed to be wrapped up was wrapped up perfectly, and although the ending destroyed me, I couldn't imagine it ending any other way.
Thank you, for writing such an amazing book that touched me so strongly. I know I will never forget it.
Overall - ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment